Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bafana's June 16th loss.

Right now, as my blunt fingers highly appreciate the smooth touch of this screen I'm typing on, as my brain struggles to come up with the best vocabulary, every South African out there has emotions skyrocketing.

On the 16th of June 1976, South Africa lost 25 young lives in a dreadfully apartheid-influenced massacre. Now, exactly three decades and four years later, the 2010 world cup host country is bleeding sorrow once again. And this time no life has been lost, only hope. Yes, hope to be the first African country to host and win the mammoth football tournament. *SAD*
South Africa national football team, popularly known as Bafana, which in English means "boys", was in action playing against Uruaguay at world cup today. This was their second match, and a crucial one. The boys needed a win, especially after drawing in the opening match.
But sadly, the host team was gifted not "one", but "3" stinging goals. Now they are right at the edge of being booted out of the championship. It was purely heartwrenching watching the colourful nation have their hope smashed into pieces. Their pride punctured..their dreams in tatters.
I don't think Bafana played as badly as everyone else's saying. I actually think they played a way better than they did in the opening match. Uruguay first goal was a stupid, but at the same time honest error from one of the hosts' defenders. The second one, which was a penalty, was some real stinking luck. In my entire history as a soccer fan, I have never witnessed a goalkeeper being given a red card. *Somebumofaref*
And third goal was....aarrrgh..!! This hurts, boy!
Well..
SOMESMELLYLUCKINDEED!

*my sister, Lisa Simpson, is in bad form at the moment. She had to take sedatives on top of alcohol to go to bed. Ha ha! Before she passed out she asked me how come I wasn't hurting as bad, I told her the good thing about getting your heart broken so many times is that you eventually become immune to pain. Heaven know how many times being Serena's avid fan has almost dragged me to an early grave. God knows how much I have cried over Chelsea...
Pano kupima uku.

C y'all 2morrw.

No comments:

Post a Comment