Friday, September 23, 2011

Sonnet 116

"Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks...but bears it out even to the end of doom"! Sonnet 116 What exactly brought the above classic, heavily romantic poem up in my head? Well, Seven years ago today, my honourable hubby and I did the "till death do us part" thinging. To be honest, I never imagined I'd last a minute as a married woman. And neither did I think it possible nor sensible for anyone to love a disagreeable person like me so tirelessly for as long as a day, let alone seven years! I guess time has proved me wrong here. In clarification, Married life hasn't been that much of a smooth slide. There have been tears, anger, long faces...but most importantly, there have been genuine smiles, laughter and love in abundance. Definitely the good times outweigh the bad... This morning, for my anniversary present, I woke up to a sweet recital of Shakespeare's sonnet 116 - one of my favourite love poems of all time. I had actually forgotten I had asked for that as my present. So hearing it the upon waking up was absolutely a beautiful surprise! By far the greatest, most gorgeous, most thoughtful gift I've ever been given. Indeed, "love is not love which alters when it alteration finds. Or bends with the remover to remove. Oh no! It is an ever-fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken..." Seven years gone and forever more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment