Friday, August 24, 2012

Brutus vs Mark Antony - The battle of Speeches

"...not that I loved Caesar less, but I loved Rome more. Had you rather Caesar were living and die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live all free men? As Caesar loved me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate; I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honour him: but as he was ambitious, I *SLEW* him.

"The *NOBLE* Brutus hath told you Caesar was ambitious. If it were so, it was a grievous fault. And grievously hath Caesar answered it. Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest - for Brutus is an *HONOURABLE* man...

Whose speech is articulately composed between Brutus' and Mark Antony's?
I've always thought Brutus' speech genius. But well, Brutus himself is genius.
Think of it, who else would Premeditate their best friend's murder with more efficiency and perfection than Brutus?
Who would, soon after accomplishing the best friend's murder mission, stand before a grieving nation and give such a well composed, eloquent speech? Only Brutus!

Mark Anthony's speech is just as good. But yet, not just as good!
I think for me his speech is too calculating therefore lacks that genuine semblance. It's also too long and repetitive hence a little boring.
Other than that, both speeches have a certain word that changes everything...

In Brutus' speech, the word is SLEW. It's cold, heartless and unforgivable, therefore brings upon his downfall.
In Mark Antony's, the word is HONOURABLE. He cleverly stresses it through out the speech with an intention... Yes, an intention to turn the whole nation against the "honorable" Brute, which is eventually what happens.
Power-hungry Mark Antony.

Oh, I just love Shakespeare!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment