Friday, September 17, 2010

Finally there...

This is it. I've officially lost my muse to scribble.
Before I logged on to the page, I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to write. But now that I'm on it, I can't seem to find my vocabulary.

A friend of mine is joining the "Forbetterorforworse" club tomorrow. Lucky her :) The problem is, she is not sure about whether she should still use her parent's family name, or change to her husband's after the whole locking thing. (cold feet..?) So out of all the "go-by-the-book" married women, she comes to me, a wife still madly in love with her dad's name, for advice...

I wanted to give her a good feministic sermon about how this was the 21st century, and not the stone age where women were expected to be their men's doormats and go by their every selfish, chauvinistic rule. But I didn't. The idea of poisoning her mind with even a slight dosage of feminism when she was at her most vulnerable wasn't that ok.
So I told her to carefully listen to her heart instead. If she felt like she wasn't ready to part with her father's name, then it was her choice to keep it.

I've now and again wondered about the idiot that thought of a complication called marriage? The answer is, with not an element of doubt, MAN. Yes, man driven by jealous, selfishness, insecurity and low self-esteem - a big bully.
Do people really need to tie what the world calls a knot and put it in writing to show how much they love each other? Is life not knotted enough without adding yet more knots to it?
But such is a man's nature to own and dominate. And it's exactly that same nature of wanting to be in control that brought the idea of a ring.
It's the same nature that brought the stupid tradition of a woman taking her husband's name after getting married.

But I'm glad the world has metamorphosized for the better especially to the advantage of us women. We have found our place in the male-dominated society.
We have bled and sweated to get where we are now.
Not only can we keep our maiden names after we get married, but we can also do anything that men can do. And to quote Alexandra Burke, "we can do it even better in broken heels."

No comments:

Post a Comment