Friday, June 10, 2011

Hard love...

On bank holiday Monday last week, the girls and I had a very interesting, productive heart to heart talk about relationships. It all began with me asking one of the girls who has a Nigerian boyfriend if it were true what they say that "once a woman goes Nigerian she never comes back". The rest of the girls assented to the statement except for one who told us she once went Nigerian but managed to come back. But she said, of course, her coming back wasn't not without a big emotional war...

"What really is it about Nigerian dudes that turn women into potty?" I carried on with my inquisition.
"It's cuz they got big packages..." said one girl. She is married to a white guy but still seeks bedroom satisfaction from Nigerian men.
"Yes they got big packages but they know not how to use them...all they know is fibs fibs fibs," said the girl who once was into Nigerians but came back...

The discussion went on to a point where I learnt that it's not the big packages that make these men from Western Africa popular with women but their incredible abilities to fib. And it seems most of us women, like Rihanna, love being lied to. I have no idea why, but it's a shame.

From there we headed on to a more delicate subject of men who hit their women. All the girls except me agreed on a desperate fact that "when a man hits you it means he loves you". What RUBBISH!!! Men who hit their wives are nothing but useless, low self-esteemed, low-life cowards. I said as much to my buddies and they weren't impressed.
One of them who is a party animal told us her husband beats her up every time she comes back from an outing. I asked her why she takes all the abuse, and she said it's because she knows she's the one who is wrong and deserves the beatings. And I was totally appalled! Seriously, I thought the days when women took that kind of crap from men went with the dinosaurs... But Alas...
I told the girls exactly that and they all accused me of living in my own bubble. One of them told me point blank that if I haven't been hit by a man it means I haven't been loved enough.
Really et truly...

The more things change the more they stay the same indeed! It's disheartening to know that there are still some women out there who are willing to be hit and lied to in the name of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment